Sunday, July 16, 2006

Sundays in the Park



Yay! All of my appliances are in and the cabinet is remounted. Installing the microwave was the only thing on my to-do list today because I knew it would take a lot of time. After church, Mom and Dad came over to help with the installation. It took about 3 hours to get it all done and there was only a little swearing. Perhaps you did not know that cabinets are heavy and hard to hold up for long periods of time while holes are being drilled and screws are being put in. Yes, it was a challenge. Comparitively, the microwave was easy since it came with such good instructions.

I'm thinking about installing blinds and curtains tomorrow night since all of the trim painting is done. I have only a few things left to get done by Wednesday when the floor refinishers come.

One Sunday tradition in my family is to go down to Illahee State Park and barbecue. The kids were dying to jump off the dock, but there was rumor of a shark caught earlier in the day and the kids were reluctant to jump in with the possibility of sharks lingering. No explanation that these are small sharks that don't bite humans could coax them back in the water.

We enjoyed our barbecue and afterward we roasted marshmallows over the coals to make the traditional S'mores. I can only eat one s'more, but I love roasted marshmallows so I had many many more - hot off the skewers.

I had the perfect Sunday. This morning, I had coffee and spent an hour reading the latest -Water for Elephants. I will write more about it when I finish it, but I will say that I started it last night and I am already 125 pages in.

I forgot to review the last book I finished on Thursday, The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly. It is a take off on fairy tales and involves a young boy who goes into the fairy tale world. I loved the way he twisted traditional fairy tales and I am a sucker for a young protagonist. This book didn't discover any new territory as much as it made me once again appreciate the transition from childhood to adulthood and the way we give up some things to gain others.

I'm off to sink back into my book.

No comments: