Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Of vocabulary and music

I feel I must respond a tad to the comments on my last late post. It seems that spiders elicit reactions on both sides and have both their supporters and detractors. I am especially appreciative of my policy being categorized as draconian. (Good word.) So, I will reconsider. In order to eschew obfuscation, I must say that the circumstances that prompted the post were thus: I walked out of my office and down the hall to drop exhaustedly into bed and there was a spider dancing around and taunting me on the floor. Well, that may be a slight exaggeration. Perhaps the spider was just being still in hopes that I would not notice it. But in my slightly giddy, tired phase, I had nothing left for spiders last night. Therefore, I will amend the policy slightly to one more tolerant of spiders when they are not terrifying me after 11pm.

Obviously, I am really tired and slightly over the edge tonight as well.

I did get all of my bills set up to come electronically and to be paid automatically. I love the internet. It was actually really easy and I am surprised that anyone writes checks to pay bills anymore.

Last night I started realizing that I am listening to the same albums over and over again. My favorite bands (Coldplay, U2, Death Cab for Cutie) all released albums last year, so there was going to be nothing new from them this year, so I had to try a few new things. I bought 3 new albums last night. Here I shall give you my reviews of them:

Angels and Airwaves, We Don't Have to Whisper - You know how you hear a song in a movie or on a tv show or commercial and you just feel like life has all of these great possibilities. You will walk out the door in the morning, the sun will be shining, you will have the perfect day, etc. That is how this album makes me feel. Happy and kind of like I want to dance (great for painting trim).

Dashboard Confessional, Dusk and Summer - Very Dashboard, all about the girl that got away or the chance you never took and how all of those things held so many possibilities and next time you should do the right thing and just take a chance. Love it, but not as much as the first album.

Postal Service, Give Up - I love the electronic keyboard that feeds the entire album. Pretty, listenable music. I failed to find one song that I wanted to go back and listen to over and over again because they are all smaller songs that make me want to listen to the entire album again from the beginning and straight through.

I also put the following back into rotation:
Snow Patrol, Eyes Open - I loved Final Straw so much and I listened to it over and over again and this is not the same album. But, I am the kind of person that likes a band to branch out and do different things from album to album. I love his voice and I think Snow Patrol could be the next Coldplay.

Time for a little reading and sleep! I'll try to be nice to all small, crawling things...

No comments: