Friday, June 16, 2006

Prep Work


I came home on the 5:30 ferry tonight. To the right is a picture of the kind of late afternoon it was in Seattle. Can you see why I love this city so much? It was windy, and a little bit choppy, but beautiful. After I took this picture, I crashed out in the back of my car. I know, I'm staying up late working on all of these housing projects.

I met Mom and Dad for dinner and then headed over to Home Depot to buy paint. Yay! I finally have everything I need to get started on the big weekend project - painting the bathroom. I couldn't wait, so I headed down to my house even though it was already 9:30. I had intended to get a coat of primer on the ceiling so I could get the paint done tomorrow morning before heading over to Puyallup for my grandparents 60th wedding anniversary.

I immediately set about taping the bathroom and cleaning the walls. I knew by 11:00 that I wasn't going to get any priming done tonight. Ah, yes, the patience aspect again. I have little talks with myself about the importance of doing things right at the beginning of the project so that the end result is better. Does anyone else have to talk themselves through things like this? I still do terribly irrational things like try to bargain with myself to get out of doing the little stuff, but every time I skip a step I end up paying for it later. You would think I'd have learned this stuff by now.
A note before I am off to bed on music. I think it is important to note a few of the records I am listening to while doing all of these projects. Here they are with some commentary:

Keeps me up:
Hot Fuss - The Killers - energetic and bouncy. It is a mood changer for me.

X & Y - Coldplay - Still great, even after the thousandth play. I've had this in rotation since it was released.

Achtung Baby - U2 - good and crunchy. I liked this more electric phase of U2 and I still listen to the entire U2 catalog when I need a good kick off to the weekend.

Final Straw - Snow Patrol - when I first listened to this, I thought they might be the new Coldplay. I'm not convinced on their last two albums, but this remains good.

Plans and Transatlanticism - Death Cab for Cutie - the best Seattle music. I love these songs and can listen to the albums on continuous repeat.

Futures - Jimmy Eat World - Great rock and roll, plenty of good lyrics and great tunes.

On all of these, when I am by myself, I sing along at top volume. Ah, come on, you do it to.

Happy Friday everyone.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I struggle with this too, Sarah. And as I fight the urge to hurry through things, I hear my mother's voice in my head saying, "If it's worth doing, it's worth doing well." And then I slow down, take my time, do it right...and hope it gets easier someday!