Saturday, June 17, 2006

Painting and anniversaries


I got up early and headed over to the house to do my priming. I was so grateful that I spent the time last night on the prep work. It made the morning a little less frustrating. This is the first room I have ever painted, so everything is new to me. It might seem strange that I have never done a project like this on my own before, but I loved the colors in my townhouse when I moved in and I never made any changes. So, I had to figure out the best way to paint the ceiling. First, I started in the corners. I tried all kinds of special little tools and ended up using a paintbrush for the edges. It doesn't matter if I get some on the walls since I am going to paint them tomorrow and the paintbrush was the only thing that didn't drip. Once I got everything edged, I used a roller for the rest. I was really happy when I got to that point because it went so fast. After putting on the primer, I was worried because the other paint color was showing through so much. But, my mom came over and encouraged me by telling me that this is what primer is supposed to do. (Thanks Mom!) At the end of the day, I came back to the house and painted the top coat and it went much faster since I had a better idea of what I was doing. Yay! White ceiling as you can see above. Tomorrow - walls.

My sister, Hannah, hates spiders. She should not read the rest of this paragraph. One of the first things that happened to me this morning is that I started cutting in a corner and I was painting merrily along when I glance to my left and saw a spider right next to my head. Of course, I quickly jumped off the step ladder and ran out of the room. Here is the part where I have tried to grow and change. I've lived alone for a long time now and there is no way to get around the fact that spiders are going to come into the house. Most of the time, I yell at them and then kill them. Today, I tried to be a kinder, gentler Sarah. I got the long pole for the roller and helped the spider climb on and then took it outside to live another day. I like this response to spiders because they are good and they get rid of bad bugs, but for hours afterwards, I could feel my skin crawling.

And on to the happy ending. It is my grandparent's 60th wedding anniversary and they requested a quiet afternoon with family rather than a big party. We all went over to their house today and had some time for cake and snacks and visited with the family. It is amazing to me that anyone can be married for 60 years. They have been together since my grandfather returned from the war in 1946. Think of all the changes. My grandfather was a pastor for many years and my grandmother was always the one who prayed for all of us everyday. She still does to this day. I love this picture because they are supposed to be holding up the cake that says "Happy Anniversary", but you can just tell my grandfather is in it for the kiss. Good for them. Happy Anniversary, Grandma and Grandpa.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You know I strongly disapprove of sparing the spider's life, Sarah! C'mon! There are, like, a zillion more where that one came from! The answer to spiders in the house is always the same: Kill, Kill, Kill!