Thursday, June 15, 2006

Patience, Discipline and Hardwoods

Anyone who knows me knows that I struggle with patience. It is a lifetime struggle and one I don't expect to gracefully overcome. Today I met with a floor refinisher and was diappointed by the amount of time it was going to take to schedule someone to come out and sand and refinish my floors. I do not like the hurry up and wait that is going on for me right now. I have to keep reminding myself that I got the house 6 days ago. I am not moving in until the middle of July (my lease goes through July so I have some wiggle room). Despite all that, I want to move in NOW. So I bounce between the high of "Yes, this is my house" and the low of "it is going to take forever to get this done so I can just move in already".

For sheer joy, here is a picture of the kitchen with the hardwoods featured in the background on the left hand side of the picture. The walls will not remain yellow - they are going to my favorite - brick red. I'll try to find an accurate representation of my color palette so I can post it, but the bottom line is "warm" colors.

Tomorrow I will buy paint for the bathroom so I can at least get one thing DONE. Maybe that will help me feel a little better.


The discipline part is a little more difficult. I am a disaster with plants. I kill things with inattention. So, Reba and Joanne, who commented below on great plans for landscaping, I am going to try to keep some plants alive before I graduate to climbing roses. As a start, my mom and sister gave me a color bowl for my birthday and I have managed to keep it alive for a little over 2 weeks. Here it is in red glory. It reminds me every day that I can develop discipline. I can water the plants. I can pack 3 boxes a day. I can clean out the closet. I can whittle it down to 42 pairs of shoes - but that is a post for another day. Blessings on all of you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

42 pairs of shoes?! Oh my. If you're getting rid of the pink heels you bought in La Jolla last March, send them my way. I'll pay postage!