Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Childlike Joy

A quick first note on how the real world creeps into vacation. I got a call from my hardwood folks this morning at 6:55 (yes, that is am). They called to tell me that they really and truly can't refinish my floors until the 19th of July. For those of you who are counting, that is one month from now instead of next week. If it was any other week, I would have cried, but today, I did something more productive. I registered a complaint with Home Depot since they said that this would happen in a week. Will they make reparation? Stay tuned...

Okay, on to the good stuff. This post is dedicated to Jacob, Jonah and Noah. I love the way kids look at the world. Everything is truly a discovery. They are always exploring and adventuring and going further than they were willing to go yesterday. Jonah tends to be a little bit cautious and even yesterday, he did not want to be in the lake too far out, but today he jumped off the inflatable and swam over to where I was laying on an air mattress in the water. He was having such a good time. I think this is why I like children as the lead characters in novels. From the classic A Tree Grows in Brooklyn to my more recent favorites The Curious Incident of the Dog at Night-Time and Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, it just seems like the perspective kids offer is helpful in pointing out to me how seriously I take life all the time. So, today I ran down to the dock, threw my shorts on a chair and dived into the lake. No toe first, work my way in adult behavior - just pure childlike joy.

End note - I'm having trouble uploading photos - I'll try again in the morning. :)

No comments: