We just got back from the doctor and I have made no progress, despite waking up several times last night with contractions. We had to get another NST (non stress test) and she pointed out that I was having contractions during the test - I said, "yes, but they aren't DOING anything" :)
We had a long talk with the doctor about due dates and why he thought that 9/14 was the due date instead of 9/21. He told us that they base the due dates on several factors and that our first two ultrasounds showed the baby due on 9/14. That is why he gave us a range. But, I am still considered 41 weeks and 1 day today. He also went through all of the risk factors with us. I am of "advanced maternal age" which means that the placenta generally ages faster and becomes less productive past 41 weeks. I have gestational diabetes which means that the baby has a higher risk of developing complications the longer we go beyond 41 weeks. There is a risk of loss of amniotic fluid or decreased amounts as we continue as well. So, we agreed that the time has come and we scheduled the induction for Wednesday morning.
I am torn about all of this. On the one hand, I am relieved to have a date finally and I am really uncomfortable (did I mention that I didn't get that much sleep last night?). On the other hand, I really wanted to go into labor on my own without intervention. At this point, I feel good about the decision and I am getting excited about the fact that we will get to see our baby in a couple of days. I also think it would be great if Thomas felt compelled to come tonight or tomorrow instead since we now have a date. Regardless, we are excited and would love your prayers over the next couple of days as we get ready to welcome our son!
We will post an update as soon as Thomas joins us!