Sunday, August 13, 2006

Books

Last night, Josh asked me "How do you decide which books to keep out of all the books you read?" I don't have a good answer for that question. I am now finished opening up and unpacking boxes of books, but I still have several tote bags full and (again) no shelf space. A couple of years ago, I weeded out my books and I keep doing that, getting rid of books I will never read again, galleys I thought I would have time to read, books I can't remember bringing home. But, it is an enormous task to go through all of them and decide what to give away.

One of the reasons I have a hard time getting rid of books is that I keep thinking I will have time to read them one day. Case in point, two books I just pulled off my shelf as I was unpacking, Case Histories by Kate Atkinson and Specimen Days by Michael Cunningham. I started reading Case Histories when I first got it and then got distracted by another book. Now that her new novel, One Good Turn, is coming out, I want to read this one so I can get a basis for all of the characters.

I was a big fan of Michael Cunningham's The Hours. My senior thesis in college was on Virginia Woolf and I loved the idea that he was going to follow an interwoven story involving Woolf and her novel Mrs. Dalloway and characters in two different eras. I loved it and I was intrigued by the idea of this book as well, I just didn't get to it last summer.

It is such a nice day that I am now going to sit in my backyard and read. Sunday afternoons should be time to recuperate and slack off just a little. Hope all your Sundays are lazy as well.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Clearly, Josh must learn the real answer to his question is simply that you don't ever get rid of books with the exception of giving them to other people to read.