Thursday, February 17, 2011

Thoughts for Thursday

The kids are in bed, the laundry is folded and put away and I am getting ready to curl up with my Kindle. I could easily sleep as well, but I have made it a goal to read more this year since we don't have a TV in our room in Seattle. I love watching TV in bed, so it took a fair bit of convincing before I agreed not to go out and buy another television. We have lived here for almost 6 months now and I don't really miss it. I love coming in here at the end of the day and reading until I can't see straight.

Another benefit to living here has been the ability to get out to the gym twice a week. We made it a priority for me to do this because I need the exercise (apparently chasing the kids around for a couple of hours after work does not count as exercise). I went to the doctor 2 weeks ago for a physical and she was pleased at the exercise regimen. I really love it because I come home full of energy and really relaxed at the same time.

One of the things that propelled me to the doctor was that I have been having heart palpitations and I had been putting off doing anything about it until I got motivated by other circumstances (more on that in a minute). At the doctor, I found out that my heart palpitations are a fairly routine condition called premature ventricular contractions. In the old days (you know, 5 years ago), they treated these with medication. But, the medication had bad side effects and didn't really solve the problem. It turns out that they are not dangerous as long as they don't occur while you are exercising (if they do, they are a clear indication of heart disease). Mine tend to occur when I am sitting still, so that is a good sign. They think the cause is a combination of factors around caffeine and stress and the recommended prescription was yoga. So now, in addition to the two days I go to the gym, I added two days of yoga. It has been awesome. I am so grateful that Josh was willing to get up early 4 days a week so I can do this.

I haven't yet written about what happened to my friend, Joanne. She is the same age as me (that is, 38) and in great shape from running every day for the last couple of years. On Tuesday, January 11, she had a stroke. Totally unexpected, nothing you can prepare for, out of the blue and life is completely changed. We have been friends for 17 years - the longest friendship in my life. Her journey has inspired me to stop putting off things (like going to the doctor) and to stop thinking that my life is hard or that I can't go to the gym because I'm tired. So tomorrow morning, when I really want to sleep in, I am going to have my just do it moment of the day and get myself to yoga class.

No comments: