Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Language

We just had a family geek moment watching Jeopardy. In case you don't know, this week on Jeopardy, there are two contestants playing against a computer. The computer is named Watson and it is big enough to fill my living room. It was fascinating to watch and played right into what I have been thinking about with Thomas and Charlotte and language and communication.

Thomas has all the funny toddlerisms that are typical (instead of went he says goed, instead of saw he says seed, etc), but he also has his own unique ones. My favorite is "I don't know either." He says it in response to "why did you do that?" or "how do you feel?" or "where did you put the remote?". It cracks me up every time.

Charlotte is also starting to talk a lot more. She is still mainly on one word things that sound the same "doggie", "daddy", "bite", "up high", "bath", "momma", "key", "please" and the ever popular "more". She is getting so big. I noticed tonight that her little belly is going away and she is getting longer and leaner.

The most interesting thing is to see how fast they learn and acquire context and language and they sometimes shock me with how much they understand - which means I have to be a lot more careful about what I say...

No comments: