Sunday, January 17, 2010

Just one of those days

I was thinking earlier today that I could look at this day in either a positive light or a negative light. I am generally more prone to look on the bright side of things, but some of the negative things were really funny. For example, both of my children threw up on me a little today. Thomas was coughing so hard that he gagged and Charlotte just had a little too much bottle (so technically, it was just spit up). As a parent, these are the moments that you remember and (in the future sometime) make you laugh.

On to the details of the day.

Thomas has been sick for a while. He had a cold and then got an ear infection (he pretty much gets ear infections every time he gets a cold). We discovered this ear infection in mid December when Thomas was having trouble sleeping and pulling his ear. It was a pretty bad infection in both ears. It took 4 weeks and 2 rounds of antibiotics to clear it up. We went to the doctor last Tuesday and finally got the all clear. Friday night into Saturday morning, Thomas started coughing a lot again. Saturday he still seemed pretty good. He was eating well and in a pretty good mood all day. This morning, he was still coughing, but only a little, so we went to church. After church, we went to lunch with my parents and Thomas could not stop coughing. He also refused to eat. After lunch, Josh called the on call doctor and went to get some cough medicine since Thomas was coughing so much. The doctor called back and told us to come in to get checked. The verdict? You guessed it - ear infection.

I've never seen him this sick. When he got back from the doctor, he took his medicine and then sat on my lap, ate a yogurt, curled up and went to sleep.

I spent a lot of time after that thinking about all the things I am grateful for. First, I am grateful to have such a great husband. He took called the doctor, took him in and then got the medicine. Second, I am grateful for my parents and Josh's parents. Both of them were really helpful to us at separate times today and we really love the fact that they are so involved in our lives. Third, I am grateful that we have good health insurance and we can see a doctor on a Sunday and get our boy help right away. Finally, I am grateful that we have such a good baby girl. She took a long nap this afternoon and then woke up in a great mood and smiled at me.

So, this is just one of those days. Definitely a lot of challenges, but also a lot of reasons to be grateful as well.

No comments: